Policy Type: Board- Delegation of Authority
Related Policies: B2000, B2001, B2003, B3000, B3001, B3002, B3003, B3004, B3005, B3006, B3007, B3008, B3009, B3010, B3011, B3012, B3013
Linked Procedures: None
Related Laws: 110 ILCS 805/ Illinois Public Community College Act
Related Standards: None
HLC Criterion: 2C5, 5A, 5C
The President is the Board’s primary employee and official link to the administration and operation of the College. The Board shall instruct the President through written Strategic Outcome and Executive Limitation policies.
The Board recognizes and supports the primary role of the President, which is to lead the College, internally and externally, and create the rules and processes (i.e. Means) to accomplish the Board’s Strategic Outcomes in an efficient and effective manner. The Board shall delegate full authority to the President to determine, implement and execute the Means to achieve the Board’s Strategic Outcomes. Although the President may delegate Means authority to the College’s employees, the President remains accountable to the Board for Means activities and outcomes.
The Board, as a collective body, will assess the President’s performance annually. The President’s performance will be considered synonymous with the performance of the College as related to the achievement of the Board’s Strategic Outcome policies through implementation of activities identified in the College’s Strategic Plan.
The President is accountable to the Board for:
- Accomplishment of the Board’s policies on Strategic Outcomes.
- Accomplishment of the College’s strategic plan.
- Operating the College within the prudent and ethical boundaries established in Executive Limitation policies.
- Accomplishment of the responsibilities set forth in the duties below.
Within the areas of President accountability to the Board, the President exercises broad authority in executing the following (non-exhaustive list of) duties:
- Create and sustain a supportive College culture that engages employees, recognizes diversity, ensures equity, promotes inclusion, and creates a sense of belonging by fostering an environment of teamwork, accountability, communication, mutual respect, and vision.
- Advise the Board on policy development and review.
- Prepares and submits plans to the Board.
- Develop and approve Administrative Policies, Rules and Guidelines needed for effective College operation in the achievement of the Board’s Strategic Outcome policies. Administrative Policies, Rules and Guidelines will be shared with the Board as points of information.
- Engage in legislative activities that influence the work of the College.
- Communicate with the Board by providing timely and accurate information that relates to the Board’s oversight role and College needs.
- Develop and sustain a high performing Cabinet.
- Prepare agenda materials in consultation with the Board Chairperson, for Board meetings and maintains a record of the proceedings.
- Prepare, in conjunction with the Board Chairperson, a strategy and schedule for Board Engagement with the community that may include, but is not limited to: meeting with individuals and community groups; observing and meeting with other public Boards; and hosting opportunities which afford the public the opportunity to learn about the College.
- Make timely monitoring reports to the Board as it relates to the performance of academic programs, student support/success programs, community service programs and other operational areas of the College as requested by the Board.
- Ensure alignment and integration of the Strategic Plan with college operations and the annual operating budget.
- Assess the effectiveness of College programs and services based on student and community need.
- Enhance student success by implementing quality improvements to programs and services.
- Promote and sustains a healthy institutional climate of mutual respect and high standards of performance for all employees in achieving high levels of student success.
- Model and sustains effective Servant-Leadership and shared governance practices which enhance achievement of institutional goals.
- Manage College operations.
- Recommend for Board Approval the employment of all full-time employees to be included in the annual Board approved budget.
- Recommend for Board approval the need for any new position that emerges after the annual budget is approved.
- Perform routine Personnel actions, including the appointment, resignation, or retirement of any full-time College employee whose position is reflected in the Board approved budget, and advise the Board of these actions on a monthly basis.
- Recommend for Board approval the dismissal of any full-time College employee.
- Recommend for Board approval the employment of any Vice President, Executive Director, and/or full-time tenure-track faculty member.
- Provide the Board with a list of all other personnel actions taken, including the appointment or dismissal of all part-time employees.
- Serve as the final decision-making authority for all personnel and student disputes.
- Manage the administrative structure of the College. The Board will be informed of major changes to the organizational structure prior to implementing changes.
- Ensure the College operates in compliance with applicable laws, rules, regulations, and Board policies.
- Delegate administrative authority, as appropriate.
- Develop succession planning to ensure continuity of College operations and reviews on an annual basis with the Board Chair.
- Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local laws, regulations, and reporting requirements.
- Promote an evidence-based culture of accountability which guides innovation, implementation of best practices, and continuous quality improvement of instruction and student support services.
- Establish performance standards for college programs and services.
- Represent the College, in collaboration with the Board and employees, to the community and develops appropriate partnerships which assist in the advancement of the College’s mission and vision.
- Engage with P-20 Partners within the tri-state area to facilitate student transition and success with their higher education pursuits.
- Ensures sound fiscal practices.
- Collaborates with College Foundation and other community partners to enhance the financial resources of the College.
- Prepare and submit budget recommendations to the Board; implement the College budget as approved and amended.
- Implement policies and procedures used for emergency and/or crisis management situations and ensure appropriate resources, tools, and technologies are available to support policy implementation.
|Date of Change
|Description of Change
|Board of Trustees
|Clarified Duties, Minor Grammatical Edits, the term “Means” clarified as “Operational Activities”
|Board of Trustees
|Amendments approved, Management/Bullet 9
|Board of Trustees
|Addition of policy language, Management/After Bullet 10
|Board of Trustees