Shawnee Community College
The Nursing Simulation Coordinator and Student Success Coach is responsible for the management of simulation lab tasks including but not limited to inventory, preparing for simulation and clinical skills sessions, scheduling the use of the simulation lab, conducting open labs and simulations that meet the needs of the college, ensuring all supplies and equipment is returned after use. The Nursing Simulation Coordinator and Student Success Coach provides clinical, educational, and technical support and expertise in the development, implementation, and evaluation of simulation-based clinical nursing activities across all levels and programs.
The Nursing Simulation Coordinator and Student Success Coach coaches, guides and assists new and current students in Nursing and Allied Health programs to maximize their academic and experiential learning, make informed academic decisions based on life and career goals and successfully complete of their degree programs through a case management approach. The Nursing Simulation Coordinator and Student Success coach facilitates nursing students learning within the ADN and LPN programs at Shawnee Community College which may be accomplished by one on one time, group setting, review of classroom material as well as lab or simulation material.
- Master’s Degree in Nursing
- Active Illinois State Nursing License
- Must be willing to participate in training for simulation through live virtual classes or in-person training, which may require travel.
- Proficient with Computers/ Technology.
- Five years of clinical experience
- Basic Life Support (BLS) certification
- Experience with Simulation
- Certification in nursing or simulation
- Two years of teaching experience
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Contribute and sustain a supportive College culture that engages employees, recognizes diversity, ensures equity, promotes inclusion, and creates a sense of belonging by fostering an environment of teamwork, accountability, communication and vision.
- Lead the development, implementation, and assessment of state-approved nursing simulation lab.
- Provide one-on-one support for Nursing & Allied Health students in the areas of academic support, coaching, and planning, basic financial aid advising, financial literacy, career coaching, student involvement and academic engagement while fostering student development through clarification of academic, professional, and personal goals using strategies that contribute to successful degree completion.
- Monitor progress of Nursing students and provide necessary academic support to enable students to complete their course of study especially with at-risk students to reduce attrition through referrals to internal and external programs for additional support services and follow-up as needed.
- Maintain accurate knowledge of degree programs and articulate the requirements of graduation from online degree programs while working with students to develop an individualized pathway to reach their academic goals.
- Initiate strategic partnerships with various student service departments and stay current with all policy and procedures for the purpose of addressing time-sensitive student requests.
- Encourage and coach online students through life events, obstacles and that lead directly to greater levels of personal responsibility among Nursing students in their academic success.
- Execute the educational, technical, and operational aspects of all human patient simulators and all clinical simulation experiences for faculty and students
- Create a learning environment that encourages active learning, repetitive practice, and reflection/ debriefing to provide appropriate support throughout each activity
- Train and act as a resource to faculty and students in simulation and other electronic/technical components of the simulation curriculum
- Collaborate with faculty and nursing tutor in the development and assessment of simulated clinical scenarios to meet course learning objectives
- Assist faculty in the development, implementation, enforcement, and maintenance of safety policies and procedures for the simulation laboratories
- Perform demonstrations on the use and operation of simulators
- Compile and maintain evaluation data on all simulated clinical experiences
- Coordinate equipment maintenance schedules; serves as a liaison with simulator companies to ensure reliable operation of equipment
- Maintain currency in nursing simulation technology and trends
- Schedule and coordinate internal and external simulation requests with other allied health departments
- Complete required templates for simulation scenarios including room requests, supply needs, and required training
- Ensure simulation activities have all necessary resources such as supplies and equipment
- Prepare rooms for each simulation session
- Operate low to high-fidelity manikins and task trainers for simulation sessions as needed
- Monitor student performance and assist in appropriate skills performance in the nursing lab.
- Proctor online and classroom exams as needed; coordinates clinical make-up as needed.
- Troubleshoot student access and problems with online products and resources.
- Develop an Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation/ Board of Nursing-approved simulation facility within one year.
- Complete approved International Nursing Association of Clinical and Simulation Learning (INACSL) training program within 6 months of hire.
- Ensure compliance with federal and state laws, regulations, and guidelines including grant requirements, ICCB, & HLC reporting.
- Ensure institutional and programmatic accreditation requirements are met in relation to curricula development.
- Maintain accreditation documentation and standards as needed
- Develop and maintain accurate, organized, and detailed student records in order to produce reports that inform retention tactics and strategies paying special attention to program objectives that lead to persistence and graduation.
- Interpret, apply and abide by the Federal Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and parental confidentiality issues.
- Perform other related duties which may be required by the Dean of Allied Health & Nursing (i.e. duties that may not be specifically listed in the class specification or position description, but are generally within the occupational series and responsibility level associated with the employee’s class of work).
- Work Monday thru Friday, during normal business hours; must be able to periodically work outside of normal work hours to meet project deadlines, and/or attend meetings designated by the Dean of Allied Health & Nursing programs.
SKILLS & ABILITIES include the following:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to adapt to the needs of the organization and employees.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate.
- Proficiency with (or the ability to quickly learn) the College’s Banner/Colleague academic system.
- Ability to work outside of the normally scheduled work day, when necessary.
CUSTOMER SERVICE STATEMENT
Consistently performs duties with concern, courtesy, and respect for all persons in a prompt and timely manner. Must work cooperatively with students, employees, and community members and be sensitive to issues of student and employee diversity. Consistently exhibits responsiveness to others in the organization at all levels and responds to requests for assistance from students, staff, and community members in a helpful and timely manner.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Lifting: Raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally from position to position. Lifting items up to 50 pounds in weight.
Sitting for prolonged periods of time.
Work is primarily in an office/school environment. Noise levels usually are moderate.
SALARY RANGE: $55,000 – $65,000
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS: Cover Letter, Resume, Official Transcript(s)