Website Shawnee Community College
Public two-year comprehensive community college
SUMMARY: The Nursing Simulation Coordinator and Tutor is responsible for the management of simulation lab tasks including but not limited to inventory, preparing for simulation and clinical skills sessions, scheduling the use of the simulation lab, conducting open labs and simulations that meet the needs of the college, ensuring all supplies and equipment is returned after use. The Nursing Simulation Coordinator and Tutor also provides clinical, educational, and technical support and expertise in the development, implementation, and evaluation of simulation-based clinical nursing activities across all levels and programs and facilitates nursing students learning within the Practical and Associate Degree Nursing programs at Shawnee Community College through one-on-one tutoring, group settings, and review of classroom material as well as lab material.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
● Executes the educational, technical, and operational aspects of all human patient simulators and all clinical simulation experiences for faculty and students
● Creates a learning environment that encourages active learning, repetitive practice, and reflection/ debriefing to provide appropriate support throughout each activity
● Supports student learning through one-on-one and group tutoring, coaching, and orientation sessions; applies a case management approach to student support services
● Trains and acts as a resource to faculty and students in simulation and other electronic/technical components of the simulation curriculum
● Collaborates with faculty and nursing tutor in the development and assessment of simulated clinical scenarios to meet course learning objectives
● Assists faculty in the development, implementation, enforcement, and maintenance of safety policies and procedures for the simulation laboratories
● Performs demonstrations on the use and operation of simulators
● Compiles and maintains evaluation data on all simulated clinical experiences
● Coordinates equipment maintenance schedules; serves as a liaison with simulator companies to ensure reliable operation of equipment
● Maintains currency in nursing simulation technology and trends
● Helps to maintain all nursing and allied health laboratories and storage areas
● Schedules and coordinates internal and external simulation requests with other allied health departments
● Completes required templates for simulation scenarios including room requests, supply needs, and required training
● Ensures simulation activities have all necessary resources such as supplies and equipment
● Assisting with preparing the rooms for each simulation session
● Operates low to high-fidelity manikins and task trainers for simulation sessions as needed
● Monitors student performance and assist in appropriate skills performance in the nursing lab.
● Proctors online and classroom exams as needed; coordinates clinical make-up as needed.
● Troubleshoots student access and problems with online products and resources.
● Maintains accreditation documentation and standards as needed
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
● Master’s Degree in Nursing
● Active Illinois State Nursing License
● Must be willing to participate in training for simulation through live virtual classes or in-person training, which may require travel.
● Proficient with Computers/ Technology.
● Five years of clinical experience
● Basic Life Support (BLS) certification
● Experience with Simulation
● Certification in nursing or simulation
● Two years of teaching experience, curriculum development experience, and experience in creating and implementing educational activities
WORK ENVIRONMENT: This position will require light to moderate lifting and carrying of simulation equipment. The employee is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
Salary: $47,000 – $52,000