Shawnee Community College
SUMMARY: Primary functions are to plan, maintain, access, and teach credit and non-credit, technical courses in a manner that facilitates student success and student learning. Courses are designed to increase students’ skill level and knowledge and improve their output’s quality, productivity, and safety. Additional responsibilities will include preparing, assembling, and maintaining shop equipment and supplies.
- Associate degree in Welding Technology OR a combination of education, training, and experience with a minimum of 5 years of non-teaching related work experience.
- A minimum of 5 years verifiable hours of experience as a welder or other related profession.
- Teaching experience preferred.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Create and sustain a supportive College culture that engages employees, recognizes diversity, ensures equity, promotes inclusion, and creates a sense of belonging by fostering an environment of teamwork, accountability, communication and vision.
- Instruct and guide the class in an efficient and effective manner based on the Shawnee Community College course curriculum.
- Provide lectures, lab demonstrations, hands-on exercises, and observations with feedback to students.
- Teach beginner through advanced level courses as assigned in keeping with approved syllabi, outlines, and instructional materials.
- Maintain a positive, safe, and orderly learning environment.
- Communicate effectively with and maintain positive working relationships with students, peers, supervisors, and staff.
- Develop class assignments to provide hands-on experience, as needed.
- Prepare and submit course syllabi for courses offered in their discipline.
- Participate in the documentation of appropriate assessment activities as directed by the Vice-President of Academic Affairs, Division Dean, and Department Chair. Utilize assessment results to improve teaching and learning in the classroom.
- Teach at the scheduled class time.
- Maintain timely and accurate student progress, grades, and attendance records.
- Exhibit good safe shop practices and maintain safe PPE.
- Monitor and submit class supply orders on a timely basis.
- Attend department/professional development meetings.
- All faculty are expected to use a level of technology in the classroom which includes using the institutional Learning Management System (LMS) such as Moodle. LMS documents should include but not limited to the syllabus, course documents, discussion board, etc. This allows faculty within the discipline and adjunct faculty to utilize these documents in an emergency.
- Assist students in meeting needs or solving problems, seeking additional help from other college services when necessary.
SKILLS & ABILITIES include the following:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to adapt to the needs of the organization and employees.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate.
- Proficiency with (or the ability to quickly learn) the College’s Banner/Colleague academic system.
- Ability to work outside of the normally scheduled work day, when necessary.
CUSTOMER SERVICE STATEMENT
Consistently performs duties with concern, courtesy, and respect for all persons in a prompt and timely manner. Must work cooperatively with students, employees, government agencies, and community members and be sensitive to issues of student and employee diversity. Consistently exhibits responsiveness to others in the organization at all levels and responds to requests for assistance from students, staff, and community members in a helpful and timely manner.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Lifting: Raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally from position to position. Lifting items up to 20 pounds in weight.
Sitting for prolonged periods of time.
Work is primarily in an office/school environment. Noise levels usually are moderate.
SALARY: $600 per credit hour
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED: Cover letter, resume, official transcript