Responsible for teaching Massage Therapy students the basics, and leading the class through the required coursework that prepares them to work professionally in the field.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Responsible for instructing students in theory and applied techniques in the areas of massage therapy and small business.
- Prepare lesson plans and demonstrations for their classes that align with the state’s curriculum requirements. The course of study should include objectives for the program and the students, as well as structured daily lesson plans.
- Ensure the proper equipment, tools, textbooks and supplemental materials are available to students so students can be properly prepared for Massage Therapy exams and careers.
- Monitor and track the progress and performance of each of the students and offer constructive feedback to help them improve.Identify problem areas for students and provide the necessary support to help students master their lessons throughout the course of the program.
- Evaluate student’s performance in the clinical setting and log hours of students.
- Ensure students grasp the importance of safe practices for their clients, themselves and their work environments.
- Supervise students as they learn new skills, and especially closely when they begin taking on real clients.
- Responsible for supply needs and ordering of supplies for the massage therapy department.
- Must also be able to explain aspects of physiology and anatomy of the body as they relate to massage therapy.
- Various bookkeeping of services rendered and monies paid by customers.
- To perform other related duties which may be required. (Related duties as required are duties that may not be specifically listed in the class specification or position description, but that are within the general occupational series and responsibility level typically associated with the employee’s class of work.)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Required –Associate’s Degree, Licensed as Massage Therapist in the state of Illinois and a minimum of 2 years or 2,000 hours of verifiable experience in their field.
Preferred – Bachelor’s Degree. Successful teaching experience in a Massage Therapy program and/or teaching in a community college.
Salary: $600.00 /credit hour
Applying for Positions
A Shawnee Community College application for employment is required for all positions. Official transcripts, a letter of application, resume, copies of applicable certificates, and two (2) letters of reference must accompany the employment application.
Applications should be submitted by email to:
or by US mail:
Emily Forthman, Human Resource Director
Shawnee Community College
8364 Shawnee College Rd.
Ullin, IL 62992
For advertised and/or posted position announcements, applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
For more information, contact the Human Resource Office at (618) 634-3223.
The Human Resource Office at SCC is open between 8:00 am and 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday, except for holidays.