Shawnee Community College’s elected Board of Trustees seeks an Interim President starting approximately July 1, 2019 and continuing to approximately June 30, 2020, during which time the Board of Trustees will conduct a Presidential search. The full-time faculty is represented in collective bargaining by a chapter of the Illinois Education Association. The College is overseen by the Illinois Community College Board and the Illinois Board of Higher Education. Shawnee Community College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. The Interim President will serve as the College’s primary point of contact with offices of local, state and federal government and with the Higher Learning Commission.
The President is responsible to the Board for the total operation of the College, including the recommendation of administrative policies and the administration of the College according to established purposes and policies.
- Be the executive officer of the Board of Trustees.
- Prepare and recommend to the Board the adoption of policies relating to the objectives, organization, and operation of the College.
- Develop and recommend salaries.
- Report and recommend policies with appropriate input from students & staff.
- Prepare and submit an annual budget and recommend necessary budget changes.
- Supervise the administration of the official College budget to assure that all expenditures are made in accordance with the College budget and Board policies and are within College resources.
- Approve all College expenditures over $3,500 and all capital outlay expenditures and contracts.
- Initiate budget freezes whenever the best interests of the College justify such action and, in such cases, approve in writing all College expenditures subject to Board ratification or approval.
- Recruit and recommend the appointment, reclassification, or dismissal of College employees.
- Make recommendations about the maintenance and improvement of buildings and grounds, including new facilities.
- Recommend the purchase of materials or services not specified in the annual budget.
- Recommend the establishment of tuition and fees charges to the Board of Trustees.
- Stimulate and direct the planning and implementation of new programs, program changes, and expansions.
- Serve as the final staff authority for the resolution of campus problems involving individual students, student groups, and employees.
- Be responsible for disseminating information to the public about the College.
- Promote the cultural and social activities of the College, serving as host on appropriate occasions, both within and outside the College.
- Arrange for the College to be represented at functions involving other educational institutions, educational organizations, state agencies, and legislative bodies.
- Participate in local, state, regional, and national organizations related to the field of education, especially at the community college level.
- Be responsible for preparing and submitting reports required by governmental and educational authorities.
- Be responsible for the evaluation of the College.
- Prepare and submit annual and special reports on the state of the College.
- In case of emergency or if it should be in the best interest of the College, the President may declare a holiday, notifying faculty, staff, and students accordingly.
- The President is authorized to commit the College to grant projects and to accept grant awards on behalf of the Board.
- The President has broad discretionary authority to act within the policies approved by the Board.
- Assume responsibility for the consideration and receipt of all donations to the College and College Foundation in accordance with College policies & procedures.
- Designate a person to be in charge of the College when away from campus.
In order to receive the full attention of the College’s Interim President Search Committee, Cover Letter, Resume, SCC Application, Transcript & 2 Letters of Recommendation should be sent to Emily Forthman, Director of Human Resources (firstname.lastname@example.org) and received by the College before June 7, 2019.
Application can be downloaded for completion at: