The Nursing Tutor facilitates nursing students learning within the ADN and LPN programs at Shawnee Community College. This is accomplished by one on one time, group setting, review of classroom material as well as lab material.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following.
- Schedule tutoring sessions for all ADN and LPN nursing students individually. Group sessions can be scheduled if several need further assistance in one particular area.
- Research and recommend study skills as part of orientation at the beginning of each semester
- Utilize online and textbook resources available to students.
- Prepare and facilitate workshops to teach test taking skills
- Review exam concepts with students after faculty has worked with student to identify patterns of improper studying, test taking, or understanding.
- Prepare students to successfully complete the NCLEX.
- Monitor student performance and assist in appropriate skills performance in the nursing lab.
- Assign tutorials on the computer when students are having difficulty in a particular area.
- Proctor online and classroom exams as needed.
- Assist students in developing focus reviews based on proctored exam results.
- Troubleshoot student access and problems with online products and resources.
- Coordinate and assist with clinical simulation and clinical make-up as needed.
- Maintenance of clinical simulation and laboratory equipment.
- Other related duties not specifically listed, but that are within the general occupational series & responsibility level may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Required – BSN preferred, ADN required, Licensed Registered Nurse in the State of Illinois; Proficient with Computers/ Technology
Preferred – Two years of Nursing experience.
The employee is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
$41,500 – $43,000
Applying for Positions
A Shawnee Community College application for employment is required for all positions. Official transcripts, a letter of application, resume, copies of applicable certificates, and two (2) letters of reference must accompany the employment application.
Applications should be submitted by email to:
or by US mail:
Emily Forthman, Human Resource Director
Shawnee Community College
8364 Shawnee College Rd.
Ullin, IL 62992