Schedules appointments, gives information to callers, takes dictation, and otherwise relieves officials of clerical work and minor administrative and business detail by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Coordinates Director of Nursing’s and Allied Health Divisional Chairperson’s schedule and makes appointments.
- Screens incoming calls and correspondence and responds independently when possible. The employee is required to communicate with incoming callers, giving appropriate responses in a well-modulated voice and understandable English.
- Composes and prepares confidential correspondence, reports, and other complex documents.
- Composes and prepares confidential correspondence, reports, and other complex documents. Uses personal computer, scanner, computer printer, and software, including spreadsheets, word processing, graphics, and network applications.
- Prepares reports on allied health student enrollment and disseminates completed reports. Collects, tabulates, computes, and prepares data relating to department work. The employee is required to use basic math to process data related to departmental work.
- Prepares outgoing mail and correspondence, including e-mail and faxes. Makes copies of correspondence or other printed materials. Organizes and maintains file system, and files correspondence and other records.
- Assists in the distribution of mail. Reads and routes incoming mail. Locates and attaches appropriate file to correspondence to be answered by supervisor.
- Supervises student workers that may be assigned to the department.
- Attends staff meetings, seminars, and in-services as may be necessary.
- Assists other departmental secretaries as the work load permits.
- Becomes familiar with the routine upkeep of the copiers and assists in the upkeep of the copier/storage room.
- Assists faculty members/outside persons as approved by the immediate supervisor.
- Aids and directs students, in need of assistance, to the appropriate instructor, director, division chairperson, or vice-president.
Punctual and regular attendance is required. Work hours are 7:45 a.m. – 4:15 p.m. Monday through Friday. This position may require additional evening hours during peak registration and end of semester periods.
To perform other related duties which may be required by the Allied Health Division Chairperson, Director of Nursing, and/or Vice-President of Academic Affairs. (related duties as required are duties that may not be specifically listed in the class specification or position description, but that are within the general occupational series and responsibility level typically associated with the employee’s class of work.
Education and/or Experience
Associate of Applied Science from an accredited institution in secretarial science/office administration or Associates degree with three years work experience in the secretarial field.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Lifting: Raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally from position-to-position. Lifting up to 20 pounds in weight.
Repetitive Motions: Substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
Work is primarily in an office/school environment. Noise levels usually are moderate.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $26,100.00 to $28,300.00 /year
Review of applications will begin immediately and
continue until the position is filled. If you are selected as a finalist,
you will be notified by telephone. No further information
concerning the progress of the search will be available until a
decision has been reached. At that time,
applicants will be informed of the decision by letter.
All applicants must submit all of the credentials
below to the Human Resource Office in order for your application to be
- SCC Application Form
- Letter of Application
- Official Transcript(s) (sent to Shawnee Community College directly from college/university)
- Proof of Certification (if applicable)
- 2 Letters of Recommendation
Submit above listed materials to:
Ms. Emily Forthman, Human Resources Director
Shawnee Community College
8364 Shawnee College Road
Ullin, IL 62992