The Dean of Student Success and Services under the direction of Vice President of Student Success and Services develops, administers, supervises, and directs student development programs and services for the college. The Dean demonstrates a commitment to student success, diversity, service excellence, innovation, and collaboration. This position supervises the following areas: Admissions, Accessibility, One-Stop-Shop, Records, Registrar, and Counseling.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Serves as an internal resource to the college on matters related enrollment management.
- Supervises multiple forms of assessments and examination processes for which Shawnee Community College has been designated as a site. Those include SAT exams given for the Illinois Math and Science Academy; correspondence course exams when residents of our district are required to provide themselves with a proctor and other multiple forms of assessment.
- Ensures accurate and up-to-date physical and electronic Shawnee Community College computerized system student files, student degree program audits, transcript evaluations, and records to meet graduation requirements and to identify eligible students as completers.
- Develops, implements, and monitors outcomes of enrollment management strategies.
- Collects statistical information on student populations that are pertinent to the Admissions Office.
- Ensures all areas supervised comply with state and federal regulations such as FERPA, ADA, and the Drug-Free Schools.
- Provide quarterly reports to the Vice President of Student Success and Services updating on continuous improvement goals as well as other key performance indicators.
- Processes all international student applications according to the Department of Immigration and the Student and Exchange Visitors Services (SEVIS). Responds to inquiries of international applicants, requests for information and application forms, and follow-up correspondence.
- Preserves the understanding and utilization of articulation agreements with other institutions.
- Prepares and monitors budgets and oversees budget expenditures for areas of oversight.
- Administers and enforces policies and processes regarding student conduct.
- Responsible for student judicial affairs and manages student complaints as per Shawnee Community College policies and procedures.
- Coordinates and leads the Student Intervention Team.
- Co-chair the ad-hoc Placement Committee with the Dean of Academic Affairs.
- Provides leadership for campus Alcohol & Drug Education planning and programming.
- Coordinates and oversees student development programs including New Student Orientation, Student Convocation, and The Shawnee Experience.
- Assists the Vice President of Student Success & Services to coordinate the operational and programmatic functions of the Accessibility and Resource Office to include:
- Coordinates the eligibility process and the establishment of accommodations and supports for current and prospective students in compliance with disability laws and best practices.
- Advise campus on policies, procedures, and the rights and responsibilities of the student, instructor, and Accessibility and Resource office within the parameters of disability laws and college policies.
- Consults and serves as a resource to faculty and staff regarding student accommodations and disability information.
- Prepares relevant institutional, state, and federal reports and manages accessibility services information on the College website and in College publications.
- Perform other related duties which may be required by the Vice President of Student Success and Services
Admissions, One-Stop-Shop, Records, Registrar, and Counseling
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Master’s Degree.
- Must have five years in Higher Education, preferably community college experience.
- Academic counseling experience is strongly preferred; experience in Guided Pathway implementation preferred.
- Ability to understand database management of queries working within Student Information Systems (Colleague).
- Ability to work well in a multi-cultural environment.
- Ability to communicate in written or oral form.
- Basic computer skills are essential.
- Reading: Ability to read procedural manuals and technical journals.
- Writing: Ability to prepare business letters and reports using a prescribed format and conforming to all rules of punctuation, grammar, diction, and style.
- Speaking: Ability to make a group and individual presentation s about the college’s educational programs and services. Speak extemporaneously on a variety of subjects related to departmental work processes.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide all units of measure.
- Perform the four operations with like common and decimal fractions.
- Compute percentages.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Valid driver’s license
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Lifting: Raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally from position to position. Lifting items up to 10 pounds in weight.
Work is primarily in an office/school environment. Noise levels usually are moderate.
$62,600 – $76,600
Applying for Positions
A Shawnee Community College application for employment is required for all positions. Official transcripts, a letter of application, resume, copies of applicable certificates, and two (2) letters of reference must accompany the employment application.
Applications should be submitted by email to:
or by US mail:
Emily Forthman, Human Resource Director
Shawnee Community College
8364 Shawnee College Rd.
Ullin, IL 62992
For advertised and/or posted position announcements, applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
For more information, contact the Human Resource Office at (618) 634-3223.
The Human Resource Office at SCC is open between 8:00 am and 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday, except for holidays.