Job Title: Administrative Assistant (Cairo)
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Under general direction, assist the Director of Cairo Center/Dean of Academic Affairs in maintaining all programs and services provided by the Cairo Extension Center. This individual is responsible for providing support to students during the registration process, and outlining all educational and development goals for the Center.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Provides advising support and counsels students for fall, spring, and summer semester course selections.
- Provides support to students on academic plans and goals.
- Participates in orientations, open houses, and other recruitment/retention activities.
- Responsible for administrative functions and may need to attend meetings.
- Receives and gives referrals to and from faculty for student’s major considerations, academic issues, or personal concerns.
- Train and provide work direction to student workers.
- Follow college policies and procedures.
- Follows the Shawnee Community College calendar.
To perform other related duties which may be required by the Director of Cairo/ Dean of Academic Affairs & Student Learning (related duties as required are duties that may not be specifically listed in the class specification or position description, but that are within the general occupational series and responsibility level typically associate with the employee’s class of work).
Assist with supervision of support staff, adjunct instructors, and student workers.
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Required: Associate’s Degree and some secretarial experience
Preferred: Bachelor’s Degree. Some administration experience preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of SCC policies and procedures, academic requirements, campus resources, and support services.
- Ability to coordinate work with other employees, providing direct instruction or supervision as assigned.
- Ability to identify student needs for support services in order to make appropriate referrals.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with students, faculty, staff, and the public.
- Ability to represent SCC in a friendly, courteous, and professional manner.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Minimum language ability associated with this job:
- Reading: Ability to read procedural manuals and technical journals.
- Writing: Ability to prepare business letters and reports using a prescribed format and conforming to all rules of punctuation, grammar, diction, and style.
- Speaking: Ability to make group and individual presentations about the college’s educational programs and services. Speak extemporaneously on a variety of subjects related to departmental work processes.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Valid driver’s license.
The employee is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions (such as in typical office or administrative work).
Review of applications will begin immediately and
continue until the position is filled. If you are selected as a finalist,
you will be notified by telephone. No further information
concerning the progress of the search will be available until a
decision has been reached. At that time,
applicants will be informed of the decision by letter.
All applicants must submit all of the credentials
below to the Human Resource Office in order for your application to be
- SCC Application Form
- Letter of Application
- Official Transcript(s) (sent to Shawnee Community College directly from college/university)
- Proof of Certification (if applicable)
- 2 Letters of Recommendation
Submit above listed materials to:
Ms. Emily Forthman, Human Resources Director
Shawnee Community College
8364 Shawnee College Road
Ullin, IL 62992