In-District Resident

Students who have occupied a dwelling in the Shawnee Community College District #531 for at
least 30 days prior to the start of the semester will be classified as in-district residents. Verification is made by the address listed on the Admission Information form. The student signature serves as the affidavit that the information provided is correct.


Acceptable Forms of Residency Verification

  1. Property Tax statement showing that taxes were paid to Shawnee Community College District #531
  2. Voter Registration Card with in-district address
  3. Driver’s License with in-district address
  4. Rent receipt for an in-district address (If US mail is undeliverable, said residency will be rescinded and student will be moved to out of-district)


Cities and towns in the Shawnee Community College District #531

  • Alto Pass
  • Anna
  • Belknap
  • Boles
  • Brookport
  • Buncombe
  • Cache
  • Cairo
  • Cobden
  • Cypress
  • Dongola
  • Elco
  • Goreville
  • Grand Chain
  • Grand Tower*
  • Grantsburg
  • Jonesboro
  • Joppa
  • Karnak
  • Makanda*
  • McClure
  • Metropolis
  • Miller City
  • Mill Creek
  • Mound City
  • Mounds
  • Olive Branch
  • Olmsted
  • Ozark*
  • Perks
  • Pulaski
  • Simpson
  • Tamms
  • Thebes
  • Tunnel Hill*
  • Ullin
  • Unity
  • Villa Ridge
  • Vienna
  • New Burnside*
  • Wolf Lake

*Towns with asterisks must be verified by Tax Statement or Voter Registration Card showing District #531 because some parts of the towns are in Shawnee Community College District #531 and some are not.


Out-of-District Resident

A student whose residency is not within the Shawnee Community College District #531, but is within the State of Illinois, will be considered as out-of-district students.


Special Residency

Students enrolled in courses at Shawnee Community College District #531 will be considered in-district if they are employed at least 35 hours per week by an entity located in the district, or are enrolled in a course that is being provided under terms of a contract for services between the employing entity and the College. Students must produce a letter from an in-district employer stating that the student does meet the guidelines.

Students residing in the board counties of Missouri (Cape Girardeau, Mississippi, New Madrid, and Scott) and Kentucky (Ballard, Livingston, McCracken) will receive a tuition waiver for the difference between out-of-state tuition and in-district tuition. For more information, students should contact the


Changing from Out-of-District to In-District

If changing from out-of-district status, verification and a signed affidavit stating intention of establishing permanent residency are required 30 days prior to the start of the semester.