This curriculum is designed to prepare students for entry into the vocation of Practical Nursing. The curriculum includes theory coordinated with related clinical experience in the nursing care of patients as defined in the Illinois Nurse Practice Act.
The SCC LPN program has had 8 years of 100% pass rate for our students that take the LPN NCLEX examination.
Upon satisfactory completion of the one-year program, the student will be eligible to write the NCLEX-PN Examination for Practical Nurses.
Current BLS Healthcare Provider Certification must be held current through the completion of the program.
A minimum GPA of 2.5 and a 60% score or higher on the TEAS exam is required.
The Practical Degree Nursing Program has specific admission requirements due to enrollment limitations imposed by physical facilities, state requirements and related criteria. All applicants for the Practical Nursing Program will be selected based upon the criteria outlined below:
- The prospective student must obtain an admission packet from the Nursing Department (618-634-3282; 800-481- 2242) or from this page.
- The applicant must submit application materials to the nursing department by the date designated in the admission packet.
- The applicant must successfully complete the admission examination “Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) for Registered Nursing from the Assessment Technologies Institute, LLC (ATI).” with a 60% score or higher (Given in the Testing Center).
- The applicant must be able to prove physical fitness for the program of study by submitting a completed Shawnee Community College Physical Form.
- Admission to the Practical Nursing Program is conditional pending successful completion of prerequisite courses.
- The applicant must submit to a criminal background check and drug testing after admission into the program.
Successful Completion of the PN program allows a student to apply for the Associate Degree Nursing (ADN) program. Interested students should seek advisement.
Effective May 20, 2020, the practical nursing program at Shawnee Community College located in Ullin, Illinois is a candidate for initial accreditation by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing. This candidacy status expires on May 20, 2022.
Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN)
3390 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 1400
Atlanta, GA 30326
The Shawnee Community College nursing program meets the state education requirements to apply for the NCLEX-PN board exam and to apply for a Practical Nursing license in the states of Illinois, Missouri, and Kentucky. Shawnee Community College has not determined if the Practical Nursing program meets the state education requirements in any other state, any U.S. Territory, or the District of Columbia.
Career Clusters: Health Science
Career Pathways: Therapeutic Services
Possible Career Opportunities:
Clinic Licensed Practical Nurse (CLINIC LPN)
Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) * Clinic Nurse (LPN, Clinic Nurse)
Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) * Private Duty Nurse
Office Nurse * Pediatric Licensed Practical Nurse (PEDIATRIC
LPN) * Triage Licensed Practical Nurse (TRIAGE LPN)
*Total projected program cost – $8,590
Books not included in projected program cost
Contact for More Information