Grading Policies

Final grades are posted online at the close of each term. Grades may be withheld/blocked from view by the college for such reasons as unpaid fees, overdue library books, and incomplete admissions records.

Students are graded according to the following system:

GradeRatingGrade Points
AExcellent Performance4
BGood Performance3
CAverage Performance3
DInferior Performance2
FFailing Performance0
*IIncomplete Work0
WWithdrawl from class after midterm but by the academic penalty date0

The grade point average (GPA) is computer by multiplying the grade points earned in a course by the number of college credit hours for the course, adding these products for each course, and dividing by the total number of college credit is later repeated with a satisfactory grade. Neither credit hours grade of "I", "W", "S", "P" or "U" is assigned. Hours earned (*) will not be used in computing GPA/ A student's standing in a curriculum is determined by his or her cumulative GPA/ The cumulative grade point average is figured by semester hours attempted, not by semester hours earned.

GPA = total quality points earned for A, B, C, D, and F grades total quality hours attempted.


A student may receive an "I" indicating an incomplete for unfinished work in a course provided the work was incomplete because of circumstances determined by the instructor to be unavoidable. A student who receives an "I" must complete the requirements of the course by the end of the next semester, excluding the summer term, in order to receive credit for the course. Once the requirements are completed, the instructor shall report the grade of A,B,C,D, or F. If a student does not complete the course requirements by the deadline, the student will receive an "F". These arrangements must be made with the instructor before the end of the semester in which the "I" is recorded. A copy of the agreement must be forwarded to the Admissions Office with the final grade report.

**Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory grades are issued to students enrolled in Adult and Community Education classes only. These grades will not be used in computing the student's GPA or college credit hours.

Independent Study

With administrative approval, credit may be earned in independent study in any curricular area in which it is available. Contact the advising department for additional information. Independent Study courses have special fees. An additional $40 per credit hour is charged for Independent Study courses.


Students are expected to attend all class sessions for which they are scheduled. The effect of absences on grades is determined by the instructor with the approval of the Vice President of Instructional Services. Faculty may drop a student from class at mid-term if the student is not attending regularly or making progress toward successful completion of the course. Any student enrolled after mid-term must withdraw from class following the procedure outlined above.

Students will be allowed to make up work missed because of legitimate class absences (scheduled, supervised college trips or functions). However, instructors must be notified in person by the student prior to his or her absence. Procedures for implementing this policy are as follows:

  1. The student will notify the instructor in person no later than one class meeting prior to the absence.
  2. The student should request from the instructor work that can be made up prior to the absence.
  3. Examinations and other assignments that cannot be completed prior to the absence will be made up at a time mutually agreed upon by the student and the instructor. This should be done no later than the end of the semester.
  4. If the work is not completed due to absences while participating in extracurricular activities or other uncontrollable situations, the student will be given an "Incomplete" grade and will have one semester to complete the course.

In cases of prolonged absences, students should notify the office of the Vice President of Student and Administrative Services.

Grade Reports -- Official Transcripts

An official Shawnee Community College transcript is signed and dated by the Registrar.

Shawnee Community College cannot forward the original or a copy of any document received by the college from another institution or agency to a third institution. Transcripts, test scores, etc., must be requested by the student from the originating institution or agency. Unofficial copies of documents may be requested. Normally, unofficial copies are not accepted by other institutions, and official copies should be requested.

At the end of every semester, a grade report is available on Saints Online only. These reports will be withheld if there are any outstanding obligations, financial or otherwise, to the college. Students not meeting these obligations may not be allowed to register during subsequent semesters at Shawnee Community College until their records are cleared.

Policy Manual: Section 8161

Shawnee Community College recognizes and adopts as policy those regulations as set forth in the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (Buckley Amendment).

No one outside the institution shall have access to nor will the institution disclose any information from students' educational records without the written consent of students except to personnel within the institution, to officials of other institutions in which students seek to enroll, to persons or organizations providing students financial aid, to accrediting agencies carrying out their accreditation function, to persons in compliance with a judicial order, and to persons in an emergency in order to protect the health or safety of students or other persons. Within the Shawnee Community College community, only those members, individually or collectively, acting in the students' educational interest are allowed access to student education records. These members include personnel in the Admissions and Advisement Office, Student Resources Office, and academic personnel within the limitation of their need to know.

At its discretion, the institution may provide directory information in accordance with the provisions of the Act to include: student name, address, telephone number, date and place of birth, major field of study, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, the most recent previous educational agency or institution attended by the student, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, and weight and height of members of athletic teams. Students may withhold directory information by notifying the Vice-President of Student and Administrative Services in writing within two weeks after the first day of class for the fall term.

Academic Honors (President's List/Vice President's List)

A full-time student enrolled in an Associate degree or certificate program whose GPA is 3.5 or better is considered an honor student. Students achieving a 4.0 GPA will be named to the President's List while those students achieving a GPA between 3.5 and 3.9 will be named to the Vice President's List. Academic honors for these students are announced shortly after the end of the fall and spring semesters.

Policy Manual: Section 9430

Students must receive approval from the Vice President of Instructional Services prior to enrolling to audit a course. Audited courses are subject to compliance with all other college regulations. Students are not permitted to change to audit after the close of registration during each semester. The student must attend all regular class sessions. The student does not receive a grade or credit for the course, but the course is listed as Audit on his or her transcript. Regular tuition and fees will be assessed for audited courses.

A student may elect to take a course for credit which was previously audited.

Policy Manual: Section 8340

  1. Students wanting to exercise a Pass/Fail option must apply for it at the time of registration for that course and prior to the student's first day of course attendance. An application for Pass/Fail credit must be completed and signed by the student and the advisor at the point of registration.
  2. The maximum hours of Pass/Fail that can be taken in any one (1) semester is four (4) hours.
  3. The total maximum number of Pass/Fail credits that can count toward any degree is 12 semester hours.
  4. No general education core curriculum courses can be taken Pass/Fail. Exceptions may be allowed under special circumstances with the written approval of the Vice-President of Instructional Services.
  5. Courses taken Pass/Fail can only count as elective credit.
  6. The designation of Pass/Fail cannot be changed after the beginning of the semester.
  7. Pass/Fail courses cannot be changed to a letter grade after the start of the semester. Likewise, a credit course cannot be changed from a letter grade to Pass/Fail after the start of the semester.
  8. Certain courses may be considered Pass/Fail. These are IND courses, COM 0160-Introduction to Microcomputers, SEM 0111-College Success, VOL 0201-Volunteer Service, degree practicum/internship course, and nursing clinicals.

Policy Manual: Section 9161

A course in which a student enrolls more than once is considered a repeated course. Approval will be given under the following conditions:

  1. If the student previously completed the course with less than a grade of C (or equivalent) and the course is necessary to satisfy requirements for a degree or certificate, the student may enroll and be claimed in the course one additional time; or
  2. If a course has been approved by the Illinois Community College Board to be repeated, the student may repeat the course and be claimed as often as approved by the Illinois Community College Board.
  3. In instances where a student repeats a given course, both courses will be recorded on the student's transcript. The higher of the two grades will be recorded on the transcript and used in computing the cumulative grade point average. The lower of the two grades will be converted to "R" and not be computed in the grade point average nor will it be applicable to a degree or certificate.

For financial aid purposes, courses repeated after a student has received a grade of A, B, C, or D will not be counted in determining the amount of federally-funded or state-funded financial aid, including the federal Pell grant and the state monetary award program grant, unless one or more of the following conditions exist:

  1. The student is allowed to earn credit for the course more than once.
  2. It is the first time the student is repeating the course and after earning an "F" the first time.
  3. A "C" is required to pass the course and the student has previously earned a "D" or "F" in that course.
  4. The student is evaluated by the Student Counselor or designee to determine student needs, such as tutoring, childcare, or transportation.

Courses repeated because of other conditions shall be considered audited courses and enrollment for such must receive prior approval by the Vice-President of Student and Administrative Services.

Policy Manual: Section 9540

The responsibility for withdrawing from a class rests with the student. The student must abide by the following provisions:

  1. Contact a member of the counseling staff to initiate a drop from class.
  2. After the first day of instruction, the student must take the withdrawal slip, obtain the instructor's initials, and deliver this form to the Admissions and Advisement Office in order to be officially withdrawn from a class.
  3. The date of withdrawal will be the date the form is received by the Advisor.
  4. Not attending class does not constitute a withdrawal from class. Failure to officially withdraw by the academic penalty date will result in failing grade for the semester.

Note: Please consult the Official College Calendar for the final drop dates each semester.

Policy Manual: Section 9520